We all put up with stuff and sometimes we put up with not completing. It’s part of human nature. We all do it.
Our physical world – it sure can mirror back to us – a story of what is going on inside us.
When you have something incomplete - it calls out to you & it helps remind you of what you are responsible for – and where you have fallen short in that responsibility in the completing process.
When you collect incompletes – you are repeatedly ignoring a call to be present with something. It could be the niggly, nagging, grating call-to-action you put aside or ignored or it could be the energy of the feeling of something you would prefer not to feel.
The Benefits of completing:
- The obvious one – You get it done
- You learn to focus & control your own behaviour – somewhere along the line.
- You get to give yourself an energetic lift
- It increases your attractiveness – people are drawn to completers.
- You’ve learned how to create ‘containers’ and boundaries and definitions of what is success in your completions
- You’ll have time to look at other opportunities
- You’ll have created some extra space and freedom. Space that you can do something inspiring in
The pain of the incompletes:
- Pain and discomfort
- Loss of vitality
- lagging energy
- Loss of movement and motivation
- Lost opportunities costs - because you are too busy being pulled down into the energy drain of the incompletes.
How to raise your capacity to move beyond frustration to completion:
- Expand your capacity and responsibility for setting and honouring and realigning boundaries as needed
- Expand your capacity to be with the discomfort of the feelings related to the pressure
- Make requests of others
- Get crystal clear of the task, project and outcome. Understand the details, and the process that will move you from starting to done
- See the challenge/opportunity as smaller than YOU. (A simple – yet powerful distinction)
- Learn how to move past having frustration as a needed friend to help you get something done – instead be responsible to inspire yourself with inspiration and clarity
- Become more self responsible by becoming more sensitive to what you best need to complete things; it may be more energy, improved time efficiency or improved resources
- Have some people support lined up to aid you. It’s a lot easier/faster to complete with others assisting you
- Set boundaries to protect your time and energy – so you can best focus on completing
- Raise up your standards. When you run in the top percentile of effectiveness – you rise above a lot of unnecessary crap
- Learn quickly from failing
- Take on an abundance perspective – as you build reserves in energy and resources – you have more capacity to invest in completing
- Start simply – identify 10-25 incompletes as a practical place to begin. Make a plan to move to completion now
- Under promise to others – and then deliver beyond their expectations – and meet your own. This lifts a little unnecessary pressure.
- Be responsible to give yourself enough time – and work your calendar and tasks to meet your completion deadlines
- link your opportunity to your values - they will inspire you and pull you forward. Be self inspiring and inspiring.
- Learn from your frustrations when they come up – get to what is behind the frustration – it’s probably important! Treat it like something to discover
- If it suits you – use technology to increase your effectiveness. There are many,many different types of productivity software that will give you prompts and reminders to help you move towards completion.
Any of these items, you could put into your personal leadership development plan. Start simply by beginning with 1 or 2 strategies to raise your capacity to increase your ability to complete – and then expand from there.
What are some of the support systems/structures which will help you raise your capacity to complete without frustration?